Sunday, March 8, 2015

this isn't about graduation

taxes are due on april 15
resolutions begin on january 1
presents are opened on december 25
candy is passed out on october 31
everything’s green on march 17
fireworks and freedom on july 4
love on february 14

caps and gowns and diplomas on may 28.
it’s marked on my calendar just like any normal holiday
as if it’s something to celebrate

but this isn’t about graduation.

we’ve been here for three years 
but have any of us ever stopped to read the quotes on the walls?
hallways that sound like headaches
and classrooms too crowded to be anything short of lonely

but this isn’t about high school.

my mom still does my laundry,
and i couldn’t tell you the first thing about cooking
or ironing

but this isn’t about graduation or anything that might come after.

i remember when the only people who laid down on train tracks were cartoons
and the word “suicide” didn’t make me cringe.
i remember when summer meant sidewalk chalk and sprinklers under trampolines
and the word “college” didn’t make my hands sweat.
i remember when the future was still twelve grades away 
and the word “senior” was irrelevant.

but this isn’t about kindergarten.
and it’s not about graduation.

this is about may 28 and the 81 days standing between here and there
this is about the 81 days.

this is about 81 days and the fact that my ears can’t hear anything past the 2:15 bell
and my nose can only smell bittersweet.
this is about 81 days and i never thought i’d be the one chanting ‘senior year’ at the last black light dance.

but here i am
and here we are.
81 days.




10 comments:

  1. i remember when the only people who laid down on train tracks were cartoons
    and the word “suicide” didn’t make me cringe

    I'd do anything to go back. Sprinklers under trampolines were always my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And classes too crowded to be anything short of lonely"
    This is some good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom doesn't cook or do laundry but neither do i... and its never about graduation... is it. (but it is)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "and classrooms too crowded to be anything short of lonely" MMMMMMM
    "i remember when the only people who laid down on train tracks were cartoons
    and the word “suicide” didn’t make me cringe."
    "and the fact that my ears can’t hear anything past the 2:15 bell
    and my nose can only smell bittersweet."
    this post was so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pain and the nostalgia and the beauty all in one post.

    The dates.

    "and classrooms too crowded to be anything short of lonely"

    This was magical. Your blog is fantastic. I'm sorry for taking so long to recognize you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "caps and gowns and diplomas on may 28.
    it’s marked on my calendar just like any normal holiday
    as if it’s something to celebrate"

    loved those lines. bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is about 81 days and the fact that my ears can’t hear anything past the 2:15 bell

    *snapping quietly* this was great. im stuck between the now of lphs and the future of college. buts its not about graduation. sorry i said that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "this is about may 28 and the 81 days standing between here and there
    this is about the 81 days."
    This post just kinda slapped me with a dose of reality.
    This is beautiful
    and scary
    same thing I guess

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOAH OKAY this is one of my favorite posts, ever, by anyone.
    I loved the dates.
    this is about the 81 days.
    UHHHHHH.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete